Re: Normalization by Composing, not just Decomposing

From: Alan <alan_at_erols.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 15:43:58 -0400

Normalization rules are Codd's rules, not God's rules. They are a _guide_ to distributing data among entities, not a dogmatic recipe. You seem to want to project a certain amount of dogmatism on everything, as if life were black and white. It isn't, it's an infinite number of shades of gray (well 16,384 at least).

Did you hear about the programmer they found dead in the shower? He was stiff, grasping a bottle of shampoo, his eyes apparently fixed on the instructions, "Lather, rinse repeat."

Here's the general rule of thumb: Normalize to 3NF, and then see if that works for you in your situation. If it doesn't, then denormalize or normalize further. Iterate.

You ask, "Are you adhering to relational theory when deploying an OLAP database where
the data is in fact & dimension tables?" Did you read my message? What did I write about normalization and the star schema?

Data is not _modeled_ as "OLAP cubes". Cubes are an implementation, modelling is analysis and maybe design.