Re: Proper siblings sorting in nested sets model

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 08:49:41 -0700

"Pavel Schevaev" <pacha_shevaev_at_mail.ru> wrote in message news:320b3b2.0404112342.140438c5_at_posting.google.com...
> But what about speed? You suggest using subquery to build concatenated
> path, what about 100K nodes tree?

The output of 100K records is slow anyway. Therefore you might not want to transfer all 100 nodes to the client. Therefore, natural solution is displaying a tree in user-friendly mode with collapsed branches (so that most of the nodes are hidden). Filtering out those collapsed nodes is the task that you perform on server before sorting. The client-server protocol might look like this:

begin
client to server: "give me all nodes on level 1 sorted, mark those nodes that have children"
client makes list of these nodes
user clicks to expand node #3
client adds the node #3 to the list
client to server: "give me all nodes on the list hierarchically sorted, mark those nodes that have children"