Re: Pizza Example

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 09:55:55 -0500

"Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote in message news:waidnWzBPce5cerdRVn-uQ_at_comcast.com...
> A lot of .edu organizations use BANNER.
>
> Last time I checked, BANNER was based on Oracle. Where do they get the
> bucks?

That might be one group on which we could do research. There are ~600 higher ed institutions using Datatel (my former employer) on UniData and a similar number, perhaps, on SCT BANNER.

However, Datatel applications have been struggling to become "database independent" for about a dozen years during which the company has down-played the role of PICK and PICK-like design in their applications. Those who have been customers for over a decade could give their opinion about the cost of ownership for the software now compared to when it was strictly PICK (I'm guessing that most would say it has gone up considerably), but that would not be a fair comparison because it is now software written to work on Oracle, SQL Server, and UniData (which is more expensive than choosing one or at least one) and the feature set has also increased in that timeframe.

--dawn Received on Sat Apr 10 2004 - 16:55:55 CEST

Original text of this message