Re: Pizza Example

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:43:31 -0400

I'm going to bring up Terry Winograd, again.

I don't know what Terry Winograd has written in the last thirty years, but he certainly gave language, and more specifically semantics, a formal treatment.

At one point, he called a word a "reference to a process which, executed in context, will figure out the meaning". That's a very loose paraphrase on my part, and I apologize if I got it wrong. Human memory, you know.

That reminds me of the integration of the relational model and the OO model by storing the "shadow of an object" (the projection, really) as a data item in a database, and then using it as a "view".

But maybe I'm reading too much into either or both of the above. Received on Tue Apr 06 2004 - 11:43:31 CDT