Re: when to use multiple databases

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2004 10:37:24 -0400

The entire world needs only one data model. Not one database. The data model should pervade
all information sharing within that world. Databases and other vehicles for information sharing should reference that model.

If there is more than one world, and they are disjoint, it doesn't matter whether they share a data model or not. They probably won't, given the nature of things.

If a portal forms between two previously disjoint worlds, you need an object that I'll call a "janus" at the portal. A janus is a two faced object that guards the portal. In each world, it behaves like any other object in that world. But its internal state is a composite of inputs from both worlds, integrated together. Viewed through a janus, each world thinks the other world is encapsulated in the janus.

Eventually, if two worlds coalesce, through enough januses, a common integrated model will emerge.

I'm sorry if this is not responsive to your issue, but its my two cents.