Semantic Heterogeneity and Ontology

From: researcher <a_thesis_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Apr 2004 06:56:42 -0700

Hi,

I would like to know if there are any well known patterns or industry efforts to solve semantic heterogeneity.

Example from Prof. Amit Sheth Paper:
Consider an attribute MEAL_COST
of relation RESTAURANT in database DB1 that describes the average cost of a meal per person in the restaurant without service charge or tax. Consider attribute by the same name (MEAL_COST) of relation BOARDING in database DB2 that describes the average cost of a meal per person including service charge and tax. Let both the attributes have the same syntactic properties. Attempting to compare attributes DB1.RESTAURANT.MEAL_COST and DB2.BOARDING.MEAL_COST is misleading because they are semantically heterogeneous.

I know there are several individual research efforts. I would also appreciate if any senior researchers could point me to some serious ontology management development efforts.

Thanks in Advance.

-researcher Received on Sun Apr 04 2004 - 08:56:42 CDT