Re: "Y'All Bought Too Much Oracle": a review

From: Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 14:25:27 GMT

"HungryLion" <hungrylion2002_at_yahoo.ca> wrote in message news:df89bd03.0403201606.54d749ff_at_posting.google.com...
> Your post should be entitled 'Y'all bought too much Date & Pascal'.
> Your obsession with Date's silly 'Incoherence Principle' is downright
> pathological.

Probably I reference it too much - it's just so useful and applicable. It really is extremely difficult to address articles like this one.

> At least Oracle has a physical implementation of something.

Did I say they didn't? I wasn't knocking Oracle in this, at least not very much.

> Meanwhile, Date & Pascal try to leech their way on to the
> 'Transrelational' bandwagon.

Transrelational is an implementation technology which can be used for many things other than relational - it's not a replacement for relational. I don't see them leeching.

> Why don't they plug the Dataphor
> 'product' if its supposed to be a faithful implementation of their
> 'third manifesto'?

I don't know. Why don't you ask them? Incidentally, the Third Manifesto is primarily about types (domains), and Dataphor also covers relational ground (e.g. An Introduction to Database Systems). Pascal didn't have any direct participation in either book.

  • erk