Re: Can these constraint be implemented in an RDBMS ?

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2004 00:21:12 GMT

"ben brugman" <ben_at_niethier.nl> wrote in message news:4048bc76$0$3677$4d4ebb8e_at_read.news.nl.uu.net...

> > > Content based security is not part of RDBMS (the once I know)
products.

> > Look around some more.
>
> Were ?
>
> (I know that Oracle and SQL-server have no content based security.
> Except for Oracle which has a High security server which is 'content'
> based, but this is more of an PR ploy than real content based.
> In that system the higher in rank a user is, the more he can access.
> You cannot protect data with only the system against being looked
> in by the higher person in rank).

The RDBMS is delivered with native utilities which include SQL. In SQL server this is called TSQL. Using TSQL, if you know what you are doing, you can construct literally anything that you are capable of imagining. If you do not know SQL, then find someone who does, and run this passed them.

> > > Menu systems are not part of RDBMSsen.
> >

> > How did you arrive at this conclusion?
>
> Could be that I understand Menu system different from you,
> but I associate a menu with userinteraction (for any menu), and
> user interaction is not something that I associate with RDMBSses.
>
> (Of course for managing an RDBMS menu's can be used, but managing
> an RDBMS is not the RDBMS itself.)
>
> But again maybe I missed what you mean by a 'Menu system'.

A menu system can be as simple as a common stored procedure (written in TSQL or SQL) by which each user account is parsed at the gate to the system and in return presented with an appropriate selection of menu items.

Normally the menu system is mapped to the organisational workgroups (eg: sales, accounts, customer service, EIS, etc).

A menu system is easily constructed using TSQL. A great deal of functionality (indeed an unlimited amount) can be achieved using only the native utilities within the RDBMS, independent of your development language or platform.

Good luck with it! Received on Sat Mar 06 2004 - 01:21:12 CET

Original text of this message