Re: Tree (forest) design

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 11:36:08 -0800

"Neo" <neo55592_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4b45d3ad.0403041048.ce8056e_at_posting.google.com...
> > > Can you prove that your steps actually work...
> >
> > with jointAncestors as (
> > select ename, empno, mgr from emp e
> > connect by prior mgr = empno
> > start with ename = 'SMITH'
> > intersect
> > select ename, empno, mgr from emp e
> > connect by prior mgr = empno
> > start with ename = 'ADAMS'
> > ) select ename from jointAncestors j0
> > where not exists (select 0 from jointAncestors j1 where
j0.empno=j1.mgr)
> > returns 'JONES'
> >
> > I used example emp table from oracle sample schema, but this could
obviously
> > be done with other hierachical methods and/or the other table.
>
> Sorry, but it won't work. You could prove me wrong by generating a
> report equivalent to that shown at www.xdb1.com/Example/Ex076.asp
> starting from the same normalized, null-less data.

Why? Because you unable to grasp similarity between my tree of employees and your goofy hierarchy of some "god descendants"? Or you seriously expect me to spend sighificant time refuting some obscure amaterish project? Received on Thu Mar 04 2004 - 20:36:08 CET

Original text of this message