Re: Can these constraint be implemented in an RDBMS ?

From: ben brugman <ben_at_niethier.nl>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:52:26 +0100

"Alfredo Novoa" <alfredo_at_ncs.es> wrote in message news:4044a2a3.20400314_at_news.wanadoo.es...
> On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:19:07 +0100, "ben brugman" <ben_at_niethier.nl>
> wrote:
>

> I don't think they are very complex views.

The number of tables in the view became large. The optimiser did not always choose a path as wel as in the 'simpler' views.

> > This makes the views far more complex and probably
> >very slow because the access has to be evaluated for each row.
> >(Over and over again).
>
> They would not be slow with a decent RDBMS.

First we implemented a view which did check if the user was allowed to access certain parts. Because of the response times this gave, it was decided that the check would be done once and be valid for 24 hours. (Our 'RDBMS'ses where Oracle and SQL-server, I do not know if they are 'decent' or 'RDBMS' or a 'decent RDBMS' or not).

thanks,
ben