Re: Tree (forest) design

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2004 14:45:51 -0800

> I am working on a design problem where I have many (possibly
> multinational) customers with tree structured administrative structures
> (cust, nation, region, site, building for instance). At the leaf nodes
> of the administrative tree, there is a tree organized location system
> (building, floor, room, rack, bin for instance). Any customer may be
> lacking in any number of levels.

Is the below a correct representation of the problem? (I realize each levels is optional)

Nation
  Region
    Site

      Bldg (this building is associated with a customer ?)
        Floor
          Room
            Rack
              Bin
                Part
                  Etc...

If you would like to post some sample data, I can model it with an experimental db. While you won't be able to translates it completely to your application, it may be of some value.

> There must be the ability to coalesce nodes into one another, as
> well as to split a current node into two, moving part of the subtree of
> the old node to the new node at any level.

The experimental db's GUI should be able do the above in a manner similar to cut/paste in File Explorer? Received on Sat Feb 28 2004 - 23:45:51 CET

Original text of this message