Re: object algebra

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2004 08:05:03 -0800

> I still don't understand your use of the term.

Normalization: The process of replacing duplicates things with a reference to the original thing.

For example, given "john isa person" and "john obeys army", one observes that the "john" in the second sentence is a duplicate of "john" in the first sentence. Using the means provided by your system, the second sentence should be stored as "->john obeys army".

Another example, given "bob" one observes that the second "b" is a duplicate of the first "b" and therefore should be normalized as "bo->b". I don't want you to normalized this far, even though Ex076 is.

The exact method of normalization and to what extent is practical is dependent on the data model and its implementation.

With respect to symbols, it could lead to the following in RDM (I use "->X" syntax, instead of IDs to make it easier to following the referential links):

T_Person
Name, Age
->john, ->28

T_CompositeSymbol