Re: object algebra

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2004 07:55:58 -0800

> > Another example, given "bob" one observes that the second "b" is a
> > duplicate of the first "b" and therefore should be normalized as
> > "bo->b". I don't want you to normalized this far, even though Ex076 is.
>
> but the second b has nothing to do with the first b.

Only that it is a duplicate of the first b.

> If you know the name is Bob, then the example you cite is trivial since Bob
> is an irreducible superkey.

It might be an "irreducible superkey" but I can normalize it, even in RDM, although it would be impractical and might incurr NULLs unless I use general modelling.

> So what about other names that start with Bo? Bonny, perhaps? We can
> probably come up with a better example of a functional dependency.

I think you missed the implied conclusion shown in another thread. I have copied it below:

Shown below is roughly how to do it in RDM, I use "->X" syntax, instead of IDs to make it easier to following the referential links.

T_Person
Name, Age
->john, ->28

T_CompositeSymbol