Re: red blue car example

From: Steve Lancour <stevel_at_lancour.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 17:13:30 -0500

Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
> I'm tired of looking for this (mythical?) red blue car example, although I
> found a lot of references to it. If someone has a URL or could restate what
> the red blue car example is and what it proves or disproves, I would be most
> appreciative. I was doing my searches on google's group site, sticking to
> comp.databases.theory. Sorry if I just missed it and shouldn't have.
>
> I did read some interesting points that I missed during the Oct round of
> discussions, although I was part of those (but busy too). In particular, it
> was amusing to see that BB put Chandru Murthri on his "twit list". Chandru
> has written databases and is a very bright man -- a legend in the Pick
> world, having worked with Dick Pick from almost the beginning (starting in
> 69 or 70). He could likely be credited as one of the original authors of
> implementation of the mutivalued query language IIRC. If Chandru and I made
> the same list, I'm honored to be there. smiles. --dawn
>
> "Steve Lancour" <stevel_at_lancour.com> wrote in message
>

>>Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
>>
>>>B.B. has referred to a red blue car example as a counter-example to some
>>>things I've written.  Does anyone know what the example is and to what

> it is
>
>>>an counter-example?  Thanks.  --dawn
>>>

>>Dawn,
>>
>>In October and November there were several threads, some cross-posted to
>>comp.databases.pick and comp.databases.theory and others only in CDP.
>>Do a Google search for "Foundations of Relational Theory" or "Dreaming
>>about redesigning SQL" - these were the two main threads.  Google CDP
>>for Bob's last name to find the smaller offshoot threads.  Have fun.
>>
>>Steve Lancour

Dawn,

Sorry, I gave you the wrong threads. The red/blue car example appears in thread "When appropriate to violate 1st normal form". The thread begins in comp.databases with a post on 5/6/2003. The first cross-post to CDP came later that day. The first reference to red and blue cars appears in Albert Kallal's post on 5/8.

Steve Lancour Received on Thu Feb 26 2004 - 23:13:30 CET

Original text of this message