Re: object algebra

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 20 Feb 2004 16:00:39 GMT

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, Jean Morissette <jean.morissette666_at_videotron.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
> In query processing, a ODBMS parse a OQL request in a query tree
> corresponding to object algebra. But, unlike relational algebra, there
> is no standard object algebra. So, could you help me to find some good
> object algebra please (example: link to research university)?

The only work I am aware of that presents any sort of "object calculus" is _A Theory of Objects_, by Martin Abadi and Luca Cardelli.

Benjamin Pierce's book on Category Theory is probably also somewhat relevant.

But neither of these appears to be necessarily relevant to OQL.

The fact that, despite 20-odd years of publishing on "object oriented" programming, there are only a very few books that try to treat the relationships between objects in a robust mathematical manner, should be quite disturbing.

That seems to me to be an even worse state of affairs than the typical paucity of interest in sound theory amongst those that use databases.

--
select 'cbbrowne' || '_at_' || 'acm.org';
http://cbbrowne.com/info/wp.html