Re: Relational and MV (response to "foundations of relational theory")

From: Eric Kaun <ekaun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:55:14 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:G46dnS0aTdbkJq7d4p2dnA_at_golden.net...
> "Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Wol's ignorant assertion is worthless sophistry. Pick doesn't have an
> optimizer because it forces this task onto all users--some of whom may
have
> no interest in the arcana of physical representations and structures.

Yes, I've seen "Technology X doesn't have a BLAH because it doesn't need one!" many times, and in most cases, it means it shifts the burden onto users (programmers).

> Exactly! However, even assemblers can optimize code with peephole
optimizers
> or with instruction reordering for superscalar pipelined architectures.

Good point.

> One might ask why we developed prepositional logic in the first place if
> human language is such a good way to express logic.

Exactly. While understanding human language is essential for extracting requirements in the first place, our job is to structure it in a form amenable to analysis and automation.

> Are you a masochist?

Apparently. Not the first time I've heard that suggested. :-)

  • Eric