Re: Null in subquery returns no records

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 22:42:05 -0600

If NULL is considered to an "un" value then at least a three-valued logic must be employed to handle the fact that a NULL value is not equal to a NULL value, right?

A null set as the value of a variable is a value equal to another null set value.

The relational model itself does not require a three-valued logic and you can find Date and others argue in favor of a two-valued logic instead. There are numerous databases the employ the much more intuitive two-valued logic but I know of no implementations of the relational model that do.

Did that make sense? Please let me know if there is anything illogical or not understandable in this explanation so I can correct it. Cheers! --dawn