Re: Would you like to get practical experience with a DBMS of a new generation?

From: Hiran Chaudhuri <Hiran.Chaudhuri_at_lrz.fh-muenchen.de>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 01:16:28 +0100

It's very interesting that a DBMS is called "of a new generation" just because it can handle multi-value fields and so on. Those systems have been on the market for more than 30 years and are called post-relational (although they were there first). Have a look at Adabas.

What I'd call new generation are XML databases, the middle between relational and object oriented systems. Here quite some people have problems designing their data models since all normalisation rules seem not applicable.

Hiran

Original text of this message