Re: relations aren't types?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 02:18:32 -0500

> > > It is not every type. There are also array types, relation types,
> > > tuple types, etc, etc.
> >
> > Since these are types with values and operations, how exactly do they
differ
> > from scalar types?
>
> They have components, or user visible components if you prefer.

You mean they have possible representations just like any other values.

> Scalar types does not have components, they have representations, and
> each representation may have several components or not.

Since one representation of an integer is an array of bits, I guess that means integers are not scalar. Right?

> For instance a matrix type does not have representations, a matrix is
> a matrix :)
>

> BTW IMHO the term "atomic" is confusion prone and we should avoid it.

I agree it is better to focus on values and types. Received on Sat Jan 03 2004 - 08:18:32 CET

Original text of this message