Re: citations of nature

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:43:43 GMT

"David Portas" <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org> wrote in message news:zMudnc7rdL53JWmiRVn-gQ_at_giganews.com...
> > Do primitive databases exist in nature in some form?
> > If so, in what form(s)?
>
> DNA?
Thanks Dave.

Suppose for one fleeting moment that DNA, or perhaps the DNA code sequences, represent a (not so primitive?) database of some description, how might this analogy be laterally extended?

What key features would need to be covered when providing a reasonably comprehensive reference to database theory?

EG: online and offline storage systems, processor, memory, power, database integrity, the design function of the system, the power system, the users of the database, the DBA, the constraints, the data itself and its evolution, backups, off-site backups, query optimisers, tempdb, auto task scheduling, set theory, etc, etc, etc ... ;-)

Best wishes,

Pete Brown
Falls Creek
OZ

QuoteForTheDay:

       "It is through science that we prove,
        but through intuition that we discover."

        - H. Poincare