Re: citations of nature

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 13:43:42 GMT

> > Do primitive databases exist in nature in some form?
> > If so, in what form(s)?
>
> Wigner, Eugene. "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of Mathematics in
> the Natural Sciences," in Communications in Pure and Applied
> Mathematics, vol. 13, No. I (February 1960). New York: John Wiley &
> Sons, Inc.
>
> Google knows where you can find a copy.
>
> Wigner ruminates on the observation that mathematics, and
> mathematical models, have a tremendous and surprising capacity to
> describe 'reality'. In other words, if you want to reason about 'the
> natural world' in a useful way, look to mathematics as a tool.

Thanks Paul. I understand what you are saying, and have enjoyed my small exposure to Wigner.

Is it valid to claim that database theory is found, lock stock and barrel on set theory?

Best wishes,

Pete Brown

QuoteForTheDay:

         "It does not say in the Bible that all laws
          of nature are expressible linearly!"

            -  Enrico Fermi