Re: What is a Relationship !?

From: Tom Hester <tom_at_metadata.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:40:52 -0800

The fact that a relational model does not allow a distinction between entities and relationships is not evidence that there isn't a difference. According to the online class notes from Database Systems and Structures at Simon Fraser University
(http://www.cs.sfu.ca/CC/354/zaiane/material/notes/Chapter2/node2.html#SECTI

ON00110000000000000000):

An entity is an object that exists and is distinguishable from other objects. For instance, John Harris with S.I.N. 890-12-3456 is an entity, as he can be uniquely identified as one particular person in the universe.

This is a pretty common notion. An entity exists in the real world and has a unique identifier. A relationship on the other hand is some subset of the power set of entities, or as DSS defines it: A relationship is an association between several entities.

Typically, relationships are identified by the identifiers of the entities that fill key roles in the relationship, not by any unique identifier of their own. However, relationships do often have additional attributes over and above their member attributes.