Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Anthony W. Youngman <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:26:51 +0000

In article <1b0b566c.0311092212.57b13af0_at_posting.google.com>, Mike Preece <michael_at_preece.net> writes
>> It doesn't. Pick is not relational. I was just showing a mapping between
>> the relational model and Pick's physical model, thereby exposing a weakness
>> in the physical model. To preserve "PK persistence" as you call it, one
>> would need to actually have a PK for the MV columns. This would be
>> problematic, since it's really a collection of MV columns synchronized
>> together that form a nested relation, and Pick itself doesn't know about the
>> multi-column association; it's up to the application to maintain this.
>>

>Isn't the PK preserved anyway? The position of a multivalue is
>inherent - if the datum changes its position so does it's PK change.

And aren't PKs optional in relational theory, anyway?

Cheers,
Wol

Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett