Re: Is relational theory incomplete?

From: Tom Hester <tom_at_metadata.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:19:21 -0800

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:YM2dnRY7sulDazKiRVn-gg_at_golden.net...
> "Tom Hester" <tom_at_metadata.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, I am very familiar with the catalogs. Compared to other, more
> > semantically rich data models
>
> A catalog is a catalog and not a data model. To make any sense of the
above,
> I must assume you postulate a data model that is semantically richer than
> the relational model.
I don't postulate one. Many exist.
Name one data model that is as semantically rich as
> the relational model--let alone richer.
Any CAD database data model. InterDB, any number of others.

> >, the catalogs represent a very sparse amount
> > of metadata. There is for example little or no information on domains
and
> > how these domains inter-relate.
>
> If a dbms fails to support domains or if a dbms does not describe domains
> using values in relations, the dbms suffers from significant relational
> infidelity. It strikes me as perverse and misleading to criticize the
> relational model for that product's lack of relational fidelity. Your
> assertion that the relational model prevents adequate metadata is plainly
> wrong and exhibits profound ignorance of the fundamentals of data
Your god is dead!
> management.

I would be offended if I thought you had a clue about what you are talking about.

> > You apparently misread my original reply. I infact said that Gödel did
not
> > invalidate the relational model.
>
> Yes, I know that. However, I doubt anyone reading your reply would gain
any
> useful information from it. The relational model is as incomplete as every
> other consistent formalism, which is to say some information external to
the
This is pure BS.
> formalism exists. This is equivalent to saying that some part of the
> conceptual model extends beyond the logical model--nothing more and
nothing
> less.
>

> > You identify intension with conceptual.
>
> As relates to computing, the conceptual level of discourse encompasses all
> information as understood by human beings where the logical level of
You don't know what intension means do you?