Re: foundations of relational theory?

From: Anthony W. Youngman <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:42:57 +0000

In article <eUkqb.87007$275.257141_at_attbi_s53>, Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com> writes
>Except it's never fully general. You have to manually
>create each kind of insert, update, delete, and query.
>You have to consider ahead of time what kinds of
>bulk operations you're going to support. For each
>and every operation, you have to manually write
>procedural code to enable it. Any ones that you
>don't think of ahead of time, the application
>can't do. Whereas if you exposed SQL, you'd have
>full generality no matter what, at no effort.
>
>I don't see any advantages; in fact, it seems a lot worse.

Depends what you're trying to do. What you seem to be saying is that if you expose SQL you get a jack-of-all-trades. Which is fine unless you want a master of one :-)

Cheers,
Wol

Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett