Re: foundations of relational theory? - some references for the truly starving

From: Joe <avoidingspam_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Nov 2003 01:59:26 GMT

"Andrew McAuley" <amcauley_notreally_at_sprezzatura.com> wrote in news:boa80o$d3m$1_at_sparta.btinternet.com:

> "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message

>>> Is it then also rude to refer to Bob using words such as "ass",
>> "unprofessional" and "snide"?

> Personally I cannot see any purpose to be served by calling Mr
> Badour an "ass".

Why must there be a purpose, especially in these unmoderated newsgroups?

> It is definitely pejorative and in my experience
> flames are not best doused with gasoline.

Depends on the intended goal. Name calling in USENET basically equates to trolling, some of which is very entertaining to watch (and even participate in).

> I can see a purpose to
> calling him unprofessional in the context of explaining to him where
> he has fallen short of expected professional standards and snide in
> the context of a rebuke.

Why even bother? Bob's shown himself to be an ass by what he's posted; others have simply noted it.

> Using these words in an inappropriate context simply lowers the
> dignity of the respondent.

And what's "an inappropriate context"? Sort of subjective, eh?

> Few would remonstrate too strongly as it
> IS an obvious temptation but ultimately insults can really only
> offend if uttered by people about whose opinion one cares.

But since this is a world-wide, unmoderated, public forum, it also serves as entertainment. It is what it is; if one doesn't like it one can turn the proverbial channel.

> Which actually provides an interesting crux in and of itself - if we
> don't care about the opinion of those we are discussing with then
> why are we discussing? I suspect this point has been made already in
> relation to pigs and singing.

With regards to the original topic, the thread has disintegrated into trash. But it's pretty funny watching Bob make an ass out of himself. :)

Regards,
Joe Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 02:59:26 CET

Original text of this message