Re: OOP - a question about database access

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 13:10:55 -0500

"Phlip" <phlip_cpp_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:5v8qb.19721$a03.1474_at_newssvr32.news.prodigy.com...
> Bob Badour wrote:
>
> > Timebox management is an abdication of management. In my experience, it
> > consists of trying to shove ten pounds of shit into a five pound bag. I
> > refuse to work for timebox managers, and I would quit any organization
> that
> > adopts the management technique.
>
> Some managers cut everything up into features, sort them by priority, and
> track how long each one takes to finish. Then they use this velocity
metric
> to estimate how many features would be finished by a given time. This
allows
> them to, eventually, put the most important 5 pounds of shit into the bag.
>
> If you have experience with managers timeboxing, what did they do?

They declared a deadline at about a tenth or less of the time required and asked for the whole enchilada. They then beat up the developers for failing to deliver, but urged them to do better for the next timebox... I found it abusive, wasteful and counterproductive.

I have no problems with realistic deadlines or with managers who actually manage. Prioritizing features and making realistic assessments of what the team can deliver in the time available is simply management--as is adjusting the target feature list as development progresses.

If there is any risk at all of any of the "must have" features not making it in before the deadline, a manager will resolve the issue before development begins rather than wait for an irresistable force to meet an unmovable object.

I see no need for special names for a manager just doing his or her job. Received on Wed Nov 05 2003 - 19:10:55 CET

Original text of this message