Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: Mike Preece <michael_at_preece.net>
Date: 4 Nov 2003 19:26:35 -0800

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:<HrCdnX12GIwYPjqiRVn-sw_at_golden.net>...
> Your suspicion is wrong. Pick uses some rather inefficient value encodings.

It's my suspicion that Bob will provide no evidence of this.

> The factor of eight performance improvement we got over Wol's example relied
> on packing more data into the same space.

Aren't you confusing the logical and the physical again Bob? Anyway - isn't it absurd to say that collating data from multiple tables will ever be quicker than getting all of the relevant data in one 'hit' using direct hashing?

> Physical independence is good. Pick has none.

The relational model is very difficult, if not impossible, to physically implement. Pick is not. The physical implementation of Pick is "natural".

> Of course you are. Mike is ignorant, stupid and proud of it. He has no
> concept of the difference between the logical and the physical, and he lacks
> any ability to conceive of the difference. His brain is damaged. The
> question of whether the damage is innate or caused by Pick still intrigues
> me.
>
> I wonder what sort of experiment one could do to find out.

I'm fine Bob - really. No need for you to worry yourself unneccessarily. You've got enough problems.

> I do know how Pick "works". One can summarize it in one word: poorly.

And I think that one word *does* some up how well you understand Pick. You claimed long ago that you are an expert on Pick. I quote: "I drew my conclusions regarding Pick after careful research and full understanding.". Although it did give many of us a good laugh at the time, it is surely now about time to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding in some small way.

> You have to remember who you are talking to. Mike is stupid as well as
> ignorant. I do not believe him capable of educating himself. Pick people are
> special, and I definitely mean the short bus kind of special.

Ooooohhh! Not very nice are you Bob? OK. You stay in your camp. Happy to have him - you folks in the relational, anti-Pick camp?

Mike. Received on Wed Nov 05 2003 - 04:26:35 CET

Original text of this message