Re: Level of Abuse

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 17:05:01 GMT

cmurthi wrote:

> I have a question for you cdt-ers: is there any level of invective and
> abuse that you guys (and gals) will not tolerate? In other words, is
> there anyone there who can tell these cretins where to get off, at least
> for the good of your "community?" Or do totally cow you? It's a sad
> commentary on the nature of debate in the theoretical world.

In theory,it is worth trying the chastisement.

In practice, I regret to say, no amount of chastisement seems to make any difference.

I've tried - on this thread (under the 'foundations of relational theory' subject line) - and it did no good. There comes a point when "sticks and stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me" is the best attitude to take. I largely ignore the contributions of the abusers, because nothing that is said to them, or about them, makes any difference.

Email: jleffler_at_earthlink.net, jleffler_at_us.ibm.com