Re: dbms/rdbms software & its environment

From: mountain man <hobbit_at_southern_seaweed.com.op>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 18:34:39 GMT

> > > There have been a few astute posts here and there
> > > to the effect that notwithstanding the benefit of the
> > > development of "the relational model" for databases,
> > > for the last 20 years database theory (a la Date for
> > > example) has remained database centric in its thinking.
> > >
> > > Is this a fair summarisation?
> >
> > I don't think I understand this, so I can't really comment.
>
> What's to understand?
>
> There have been a few astute posts here and there to the effect that
> notwithstanding the benefit of the development of "the internal
> combustion engine" for automobiles, for the last 20 years automobile
> theory (a la Shelby for example) has remained automobile centric in
> its thinking.

An automobile consists of a number of inter-related parts perhaps the most important being the internal combustion engine which drives the entire assembly.

A computer system run by any general large organisation consists of a number of inter-related parts the most important being the database engine (dbms/rdbms) which is at the heart of the organisational intelligence assembly.

One would expect database theory should say something concerning how the dbms/rdbms sits within another "external" (horror!) environment and how it relates to other software in the environment, particularly the nature of any associated application system software.

However the experts appear strangely silent on the matter, preferring to remain undividedly focused only on the engine component of the overall assembly. Is this a fair comment?

How is this going to solve problems associated with the relationship between the database engine (dbms/rdbms) and the overall assembly (ie: the generic organisation's entire computer systems software concert)

> I would say these "astute" posters have a fine grasp of the obvious.

We'll see. Received on Wed Oct 29 2003 - 19:34:39 CET

Original text of this message