Re: Welcome to comp.databases.theory!

From: Mike Preece <michael_at_preece.net>
Date: 24 Oct 2003 23:22:04 -0700

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com> wrote in message news:<LScmb.22$A85.230_at_news.oracle.com>...
> "Mike Preece" <michael_at_preece.net> wrote in message
> > Comp.databases/theory is just a way of wasting perfectly good,
> > valuable time that could be spent doing things that fight for a better
> > database. Look at what I'm doing now. The probiblity that something of
> > any good comes from this is roughtly Infinitey to 1 again st. Give or
> > take. The only people who study database theory are people who know
> > everything (e.g. me) and the only people who read about it are people
> > with nothing better to do with their lives than sit in front of their
> > computer like a piece of potato and wander aroung aimlessly in the
> > Net. E.G. you. If you want to actually learn about databases then you
> > should go to a source that doesn't have "Theory" on the cover. When
> > you think about that, it's pretty stupid title for a news group.
>
> It's a usenet. Participating in the heated noisy discusissions damages
> anybody's mental heath, c.d.t. folks included.
>
> If you want some civilized answers, for god's sake, post some SQL puzzle
> that a group can solve, or ask a question what 3rd Normal Form is. There is
> a little respect for crystal ball salesmen here.

OK. Let's stop this now.

Sorry if you didn't see my OP as an attempt at humour. It was inspired by a visit to http://carbon.cudenver.edu/~mstilman/zaphod/guide/data/12.html which might well have taken inspiration from http://www.totse.com/en/ego/science_fiction/hitch1.html. I'm a fan of Douglas Adams. Sorry if you don't share my sense of humour. Maybe it didn't make it across the language and cultural boundaries. I was attempting to turn the heat *down* - not up, because I was finding it difficult to engage in a civilised exchange with people who, imo, were behaving in an offensive, arrogant and uncivilised manner. Also - I should have checked my OP for spelling etc..

Now then... What's with this censorship crap? Why should "SQL puzzles" have any more validity within this group as anything else relating to databases? That's a rhetorical question. Please don't give me an answer. It will only wind me up.

Mike. Received on Sat Oct 25 2003 - 08:22:04 CEST

Original text of this message