Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: Lauri Pietarinen <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 00:33:27 +0300

Bob Badour wrote:

>"Lauri Pietarinen" <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com> wrote in message
>

>>Bob Badour wrote:
>>

>>>"Lauri Pietarinen" <lauri.pietarinen_at_atbusiness.com> wrote in message

>>>Of course, we can.
>>>

>>OK, but playing the devils advocate, how can you be so sure that it would
>> - scale
>> - be manageable
>> - adapt to all situations
>> - not to talk about being able to educate programmers to the new
>>

>approach
>

>>Say if you had a large insurance company with, say, 10000 rules, would
>>it *really* work?
>>

>Yes, absolutely. It would scale at least as well as it does today. It would
>be more manageable than it is today because the important business logic
>would not be scattered among hundreds of applications. It would easily adapt
>to all situations. Why would it not?

[snipped]

That is all very clear, and that is how I have understood the goal. But, as they say, the devil lies in the details.

The Versata product has been used to create a fairly large rule-based application at
American Management Systems. I wonder if anybody knows anything about this application
.
See this IBM red book:

http://publib-b.boulder.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/RedbookAbstracts/sg246510.html?Open

regards,
Lauri Pietarinen Received on Sun Oct 19 2003 - 23:33:27 CEST

Original text of this message