Re: volunteering software development services

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne_at_acm.org>
Date: 1 Oct 2003 02:08:21 GMT

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, joe.celko_at_northface.edu (--CELKO--) transmitted:
>>> [Why not contributing to SourceForge.net?] If you can find one you
> like... hmmm... I'll dig around. <<
>
> Nobody has done anything with the "Tutorial D" project as of today.
> Ever write a compiler?

Actually, that's not quite accurate. There is a project that has done some preliminary work:

   http://duro.sourceforge.net/

It has implemented a C API that implements the "stuff underneath the skin," using Berkeley DB as the storage system. (Which is a good idea; it is transactional and all...)

It doesn't provide a compiler of "Language D;" it's more like embedded SQL without the SQL. Everything gets done via function calls, with the same gratuitous quantities of data structure definitions that you get if you code CORBA applications in C, or if you code linear algebra apps in C. You have to define and allocate all of the "work area" yourself.

A meaningful task would be to attach an interpreter to Duro so that its use wouldn't require generating the "gratuitous chunks of C."

--
let name="aa454" and tld="freenet.carleton.ca" in String.concat "_at_" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/spiritual.html