Re: Values have types ??

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2003 09:04:55 -0400

Hi Leandro,

I see the silly monkey is back. If you had just a little more self-control, I could remain blissfully ignorant of his nonsense. But because I have even less self-control, now I feel compelled to reply to some of it.

"Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra" <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br> wrote in message news:pan.2003.09.06.09.16.20.358578_at_terra.com.br...
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:59:55 -0700, Costin Cozianu wrote:
>
> >> Could be integer, real, string...
> >>
> > Why not "even integer", or "even positive integer", or prime number ?
>
> Indeed, why not? Surely yes. That's what the three little dots
> at the end of my phrase mean, they are called an 'ellipsis' and are meant
> to a open set of unspecified alternatives.

Les singes ne peuvent pas penser des pensées abstraites. Ils comprennent seulement les listes explicites.

> >> The discussion was about values implicitly *in a RDB*. There,
> >> a value will *always* have a type. So your trap catches no mice... for
> >> this kind of mouse always live in a RDB.
> >
> > In the D&D proposal a value is guaranteed to have a most specific type
> > (MST), which is largely undefined in the book that a few people around
> > here have come to recite like the bible.
>
> If you were less biased against D&D you'd see these few people
> tend to have good points, and that in the Bible analogy they sometimes
> question the prophets of the faith...
>
> Anyway that's irrelevant, because you gave a representation
> without a type, so we can't even agree about its precise meaning without
> assuming a type... you end up inadvertently proving what you seem to want
> to refute.

Le singe confond un symbole avec une valeur. Le symbole peut représenter tout nombre de valeurs.

> > In the above case I'd propose that the MST is, well, {2}.
>
> That meaning? You see, the type is part of the meaning...

Indeed, does {2} mean the same as a subtype of Integer as it means as a subtype of { M, F, 2 } or of { Y, N, 2 } or of { Particle, Wave, 2 } ?

> > 2 then has the "type" {2}
>
> So what?

A type has both a set of values and a set of operations. Presumably, the operations for { M, F, 2 } differ from the operations on Integers. One can imagine any number of singleton types whose value one can represent as 2. Received on Sat Sep 06 2003 - 15:04:55 CEST

Original text of this message