Re: Values have types ??

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <lgcdutra_at_terra.com.br>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 11:16:20 +0200

On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 17:59:55 -0700, Costin Cozianu wrote:

>> Could be integer, real, string...
>>

> Why not "even integer", or "even positive integer", or prime number ?

        Indeed, why not? Surely yes. That's what the three little dots at the end of my phrase mean, they are called an 'ellipsis' and are meant to a open set of unspecified alternatives.

>> 	The discussion was about values implicitly *in a RDB*.  There,
>> a value will *always* have a type.  So your trap catches no mice... for
>> this kind of mouse always live in a RDB.

> In the D&D proposal a value is guaranteed to have a most specific type
> (MST), which is largely undefined in the book that a few people around
> here have come to recite like the bible.

        If you were less biased against D&D you'd see these few people tend to have good points, and that in the Bible analogy they sometimes question the prophets of the faith...

        Anyway that's irrelevant, because you gave a representation without a type, so we can't even agree about its precise meaning without assuming a type... you end up inadvertently proving what you seem to want to refute.

> In the above case I'd propose that the MST is, well, {2}.

        That meaning? You see, the type is part of the meaning...

> 2 then has the "type" {2}

        So what?

--
 _   Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra     +41 (21) 648 11 34
/ \  http://br.geocities.com./lgcdutra/         +41 (78) 778 11 34