Re: does a table always need a PK?

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 01:01:58 GMT

"Paul G. Brown" <paul_geoffrey_brown_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:57da7b56.0308311128.3b6d4518_at_posting.google.com...
> Put it another way: as much as folk would love to be able to say things
> like "I don't care about implementation details: we're talking about the
> logical model here.", it simply doesn't cut much cheese. In the end you've
> got to have a working system or no one (outside a small circle of friends)
[Quoted] > cares because what you have is impractical.

I agree that for any given model or design being discussed, it must be *implementable* for there to be any point in discussing it. But I think you go too far if you're asserting that the implementation details need to be all worked out before, or at the same time as, the model. Logical models are an important aspect of system design, and while it is important to be able to discuss how the parts of a system design interact, it is also important to be able to talk about those parts in isolation. This is nowhere more true than when discussing a logical model, because that is the part the human will interact with.

Marshall Received on Mon Sep 01 2003 - 03:01:58 CEST

Original text of this message