Re: does a table always need a PK?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 17:47:35 -0400

"Heikki Tuuri" <Heikki.Tuuri_at_innodb.com> wrote in message news:Z613b.353$n62.3_at_read3.inet.fi...
> Lee,
>
> "Lee Fesperman" <firstsql_at_ix.netcom.com> kirjoitti viestissä
> > Heikki Tuuri wrote:
> > > Lee, of course, has a commercial interest in claiming that 'a/the
> relational
> > > model' is crystal clear. He tries to market FirstSQL on that basis.
> > >
> > > "* FirstSQL/J Object/Relational DBMS "
> > >
> > > By the way, FirstSQL probably is not Codd-12-relational? Why do you
> claim it
> > > to be an 'object/relational' database then? Is it 'Lee
> > > Fesperman -relational'?
> >
> > FirstSQL/J is not yet compliant with all of Codd's 12 Rules. However, we
> are improving
> > in that area and are the only DBMS vendor dedicated to relational
> fidelity. It's on our
> > to-do list!
>
> I thought that also Dataphor is dedicated to some version of 'relational
> fidelity'. Do you dispute that?
>
> Could we say that your database is an 'object/TODO-Codd-12-relational'
> database?
>
> > Codd's 12 Rules do not define the relational model; they are guidelines
> for users to
> > evaluate the relational compliance of their DBMSs. For more definitive
> information, see
> > Codd's papers beginning with the 1970 article through his 1979
"Extending
> the Database
> > Relational Model to Capture More Meaning".
>
> Good. Please show us where the following are formally defined by Codd?

Do you comprehend written english? This has already been addressed. The formal definition of the relational model is Codd's 1970 paper. If you want formal definitions, look in the 1970 paper.

Rules of thumb need not have formal definitions. What is the formal definition of separation of concerns? What is the formal definition of elegance? What is the formal definition of mathematics? What is the formal definition of the scientific method? What is the formal definition of formal?

Making petulant demands for formal definitions that are neither required nor desired is nothing more than pedantic sophistry. Such sophistry might impress an ignorant consumer, and no doubt that is your intention. Received on Wed Aug 27 2003 - 23:47:35 CEST

Original text of this message