Re: mini database - educational project

From: Matias Woloski <woloski_at_sion.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 18:31:00 -0300

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com> escribió en el mensaje news:Z193b.29$84.180_at_news.oracle.com...

> "Matias Woloski" <woloski_at_sion.com> wrote in message
> > 1) Bring the physical data to an in memory structure when executing the
> > TABLE command. Then creates inmemory tables for each command executed.
So
> > will end up with 3 tables in memory for the example above.
> >
> > 2) Work with the file directly. Maybe with Direct Access files. So when
> > doing PROJ for instance, I would go through myTable file and grab the
> > columns needed and save it in another temporal file.
> >
> > The first will be faster and easier to implement but it has the downside
> of
> > depend on the RAM of the system. The second will work on every scenario
> but
> > will be much slower than the first considering it will work with files.
>
> If you say "academic", then forget about the "file". Main memory database
> even more theoretically legitimate then file based.

I don't think I understand. You are saying that I should stay out of a file based approach? why? can you give me more arguments? I'm really thinking about doing it file based because of the memory restriction. Apart from that the profesor warn us about that: "You could have a 2gb table stored in the file system, so you won't be able to load the whole in memory"

Now you would say "so you have no option". That's not completly true, because when they evaluate the solution, they do some tests and you have to pass more than 60% of the tests. So maybe one or two tests are big files, but the other tests other functionality. I hope you understand ...

thanks for the help Received on Wed Aug 27 2003 - 23:31:00 CEST

Original text of this message