Re: Relational Databases and Their Guts

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:54:02 -0400

"programmer" <int.consult_at_macmail.com> wrote in message news:bd7afq$bsr$1_at_pheidippides.axion.bt.co.uk...

> > > Create Table does not fail the information rule--SQL does. SQL does
not
> > > require at least one candidate key for every table. SQL allows null
> markers.
> > > As a result, SQL does not represent all information as values in
> relations.
> > > Producing a better product won't do me any good if the widespread
> ignorance
> > > in the marketplace prevents adequate demand from developing.
> >
> > To recap: The IT sector is full of ignorant people that do not even
> > know that SQL Server sucks.
> >

> SQL is NOT SQL server.
>
> One is a database query and manipulation language.
>
> The other is a computer program sold by Microsoft.

Exactly. The language sucks, which places a lower bound on the suckiness of products based on the language. I have great faith in Microsoft to exceed the bound, but Microsoft is far from unique in this ability.

The network model raises the bar on suckiness.

Application specific data models raise the suckiness bar even higher.

Does it make sense to develop a good product for a commoditized market where widespread ignorance causes ever increasing demands for greater suckiness? Received on Mon Jun 23 2003 - 18:54:02 CEST

Original text of this message