Re: Relational Databases and Their Guts

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:59:13 +0100

"Todd Bandrowsky" <anakin_at_unitedsoftworks.com> wrote in message news:af3d9224.0306191214.4127e9c4_at_posting.google.com...
> > What on earth do you mean by that?
>
> RDBMS: popularly defined category of database servers who implement
> some dialect of SQL and claim to implement or conform to relational
> algebra at some level. Hence the name.
>
> Relational Database: A theoretical construct.

Thanks for the clarification.

In this newsgroup, I think it would be clarifying if you called your first category SQL RDBMS.

Fabain Pascal uses the term TRDBMS for "Truly Relational Database Managements System(s)". This term is OK when you want to be explicit about a RDBMS that is truer to the relational model, than SQL RDBMSes can ever be.

Outside this newsgroup, when I hear RDBMS, I know people mean SQL RDBMS and I don't correct them. Inside the group is a different matter...

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Fri Jun 20 2003 - 11:59:13 CEST

Original text of this message