Re: Transactions: good or bad?

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 04:35:53 GMT

"Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message news:PZLHa.75$KY7.13165659_at_mantis.golden.net...

> It was not the argument that was silly. It was the idea that theoreticians
> are salesmen that was silly. Theoreticians effectively share their knowledge
> all the time; however, one must meet them half-way.

Exactly. That is to say, one must be willing to listen, and to be educated.

I've been in a position of expertise in a few different fields, but one thing is constant: if people don't want to listen to you, they won't.

In software engineering, the benefits of listening to the expert's good advice (or the risks of ignoring it) might not be made apparent for a year or more. One might think that this delayed feedback is why people sometimes have trouble accepting the word of experience, but I can attest that the same situation applies even in fields where the expert's superior technique can be made visible in under a second.

Or as I was saying to someone the other day, the benefits of experience are often undervalued by those who don't have it.

Marshall Received on Wed Jun 18 2003 - 06:35:53 CEST

Original text of this message