Re: domains aren't subtypes, right?

From: Gene Wirchenko <genew_at_mail.ocis.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2003 01:10:33 GMT

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com> wrote:

[snip]

>From that physical perspective (which is BTW the most fundamental and
>consistent view of the world) time is linear, homogenous, continuous, etc.
>It doesn't contain leap years, missing year 0, summer time switch, and other
>nonsence. We just measure the time in homogenous units from some reference
>point. There is nothing complicated about that.

      The conversion will kill you though. (e.g. What about leap seconds?) Some will want a close-to-end-user approach and avoid the conversion. Some have to have the raw time data.

[snip]

>Generally, there are superior and inferior units. For example, Metric System
>is superior to the Old Imperial System (called "standard" in the US;-). Is
>my judgement aesthetical? Mostly, because arguments riduculing complexity of
>primitive culture artifacts never scientifically based.

     Yes, it is. The advantage of dozens is that they can be packaged in more ways. This is esthetically more pleasing to me. YEMV!

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation:

     I have preferences.