Re: Business Intelligence and Software Development

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:02:16 +0100

"CanztheMoose" <mcanzoneri_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3d0a67bd.0305210817.42886afc_at_posting.google.com...
> I am working with a client who is trying to integrate a business
> intelligence component into their overall IT Strategy. They are hung
> up on the issue of parallel development of operational system and
> business intelligence (data warehousing) efforts.
>
> I am under the assumption the BI portion follows the operational
> portion by several months so the operational system can mature. My
> client is under the assumption these two efforts can proceed in
> concert with one another.
>
> Am I wrong in my assumption, and if so what am I missing?
>
> Canz

It's definitely a good idea to tie your BI requirements/design in with your operational requirement/design if you can. Tying in development is a more tricky one. If your BI system can respond elegantly to alterations in the operational database schema then go for integrated (not parallel - the two efforts need to talk) development. If the db schema (and it's usage if most business rules are in the app and not the db) is nowhere near fixed then waiting a few months for things to settle down is not a bad idea.,

So, in short, it depends.

In theory, or course, the answer is that there is no such thing as separate databases... you need to bug your DBMS supplier to support both OLTP and BI against single databases...

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Wed May 21 2003 - 20:02:16 CEST

Original text of this message