Re: Auto increment

From: stu <smcgouga_at_nospam.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 11:16:28 +0100

"Tobin Harris" <comedyharris_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b9og29$l7ptr$1_at_ID-135366.news.dfncis.de...
> I think it's realistic to assume that database builders want to have the
> system help them allocate unique keys where necessary, but perhaps it
would
> be helpful to have much more flexibility than the current vendors provide.
> For example, what if the database had a 'key engine' that could be
> programmed to generate meaningful or meaningless keys according to
specific
> business rules?

So the problem with a surrogate key is the way it can be implemented? I.e Autonumber! So a business key generator that generates meaningful keys is a much better idea?

eg first 3 letters of customer name followed by the date that customer entered our DB as opposed to a meaningless ID?

Cheers
Stu Received on Tue May 13 2003 - 12:16:28 CEST

Original text of this message