Re: "Transactions are bad, real bad" - discuss

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 13 May 2003 03:04:08 -0700

Costin Cozianu <c_cozianu_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<b9oh42$lgn1j$1_at_ID-152540.news.dfncis.de>...

> Here's another point: you want to isolate computationally expensive
> processes from the core RDBMS functions.

It is easy. The RDBMS may use separated computers (or processors) for the computationally expensive processes.

> You want to isolate high-risk computations from the core RDBMS.

The same, you can use slave computers or processes. If the risk computation crashes a slave process the core is not damaged.

> So even if you give a more expressive language to power users to create
> user defined types and operators and what not, from a "software
> architecture" point of view, building all your important computations
> under the RDBMS umbrella and letting clients only do the UI rendering
> job ( at least this much I understood from your vision) is an absolute
> no go.

I don't see the problems. I share that vision.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Tue May 13 2003 - 12:04:08 CEST

Original text of this message