Re: Do Data Models Need to built on a Mathematical Concept?

From: André Nęss <andrena.spamreallysucks_at_ifi.uio.no>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 14:32:47 +0200

Neo:

>> > Nearly all humans, in the past, now, and in the future do this
>> > practically every single day of their life: related things, any two
>> > things in various types of relations.
>>
>> We were discussing software, though, and not our image of our own mind.

> You don't see the parallel between a db representing things and a
> brain representing things?

A db should store data in some magic way, and provide us with a view to this data which makes it easy to access and manage the data. The brain does this too, regardless of how it's implemented. For example we see the world serially, even if the brain is implemented as a massively parallel system. We don't have to bother ourselves with neurons and axons to conjure up images in our mind's eye, we just do it. What you propose (as it seems to me, anyway) is to reveal the incomprehensible mess of neurons and axons directly to us. This is supposed to help us how?

If you find that the design of the brain provides you with ideas for how you would like to *implement* a DBMS, fine, but using this implementation as the data model can only lead to a very complex system with little or noe benefits.

Consciousness is an abstraction implemented on the hardware of the brain, you want to bypass the abstraction and go straight to implementation, which I expect will be a bit like thinking in binary code.

I think it was Steven Pinker or Daniel Dennett who -- paraphrasing Descartes -- wrote: "I think, therefore I have no access to the level where I sum."

André Nęss Received on Wed May 07 2003 - 07:32:47 CDT