Re: Do Data Models Need to built on a Mathematical Concept?

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 15:10:02 GMT

"Neo" <neo55592_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4b45d3ad.0305061316.10a935_at_posting.google.com...

> > > Nearly all humans, in the past, now, and in the future do this
> > > practically every single day of their life: related things, any two
> > > things in various types of relations.
> >
> > We were discussing software, though, and not our image of our own mind.

> You don't see the parallel between a db representing things and a
> brain representing things?

I see the metaphor, yes. But it's just a metaphor; it's not math. We can think about how we think using metaphor, but we can't describe it mathematically, except in terms that are very limited compared to the actual complexity of the mind.

Also, it's problematic to speculate on "how the brain represents things." Unless you are conducting some very sophisticated cognitive experiments, you don't have any valid data about the brain represents things. It's definitely not sufficient just to try to understand how you think by thinking about thinking, or just to observe or speculate.

Marshall Received on Wed May 07 2003 - 17:10:02 CEST

Original text of this message