Re: Alternatives to ACID, non-serialized concurrent transactions?

From: Paul Vernon <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 18:07:14 +0100

"Todd Bandrowsky" <anakin_at_unitedsoftworks.com> wrote in message news:af3d9224.0305041920.e78b7e9_at_posting.google.com... [snip]
> But, here's
> the question. Is the inventory of a company at time 2 minutes and 32
> seconds really any different than the inventory of a company at 2
> minutes and 33 seconds, after several orders have been taken?

I can help you with this one Todd. The answer is yes.

[snip]
> Given that the company, and, the universe as a
> whole, is an essentially parallel enterprise, does the notion of a
> single serialized view of the world make any sense at all?

Even if 1000 physicists agreed that the universe is not 'serializable' (and I'll have no idea if they would - last I heard was that they weren't really agreed on what time itself was), do you truly believe that there is mileage in not forcing a database to have exactly one value at each point in time, *whenever such a value is requested*?

[snip]

Regards
Paul Vernon
Business Intelligence, IBM Global Services Received on Tue May 06 2003 - 19:07:14 CEST

Original text of this message