Re: Design question

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 4 May 2003 14:07:34 -0700

>> Is there a better way? Keep in mind that I am required to use an
RDBMS. <<

Given that requirement, you are dead. A better way to handle documents is to use a textbase or document retrieval product.

The basic idea of a relational DBMS is that you know all the attributes of the data model before you load the data into the schema.  You do not "make it up" as you go along. You can kludge something together, but it will perform so poorily and be so large that it will be useless in a year.

Many years ago, I had a consulting job with Southern California Edison. They were trying to put their Labor Law library on a database and had originally wanted to use DB2. The law library was contracts, laws, court decisions, etc. -- all documents, no records. I suggested a textbase that looked like Lexis or WestLaw on the front end so their lawyers could use it immediately. I estimated that it saved them $150,000 the *first* year and at least $50,000 every year thereafter. Get the right tool for the job. Received on Sun May 04 2003 - 23:07:34 CEST

Original text of this message