Re: Do Data Models Need to built on a Mathematical Concept?

From: Kunle Odutola <noemails_at_replyingroup.nospam.org>
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 12:00:03 +0000 (UTC)

Neo wrote:
>>> A graph is not equivalent to a binary relation.
>>> A graph is composed of binary relations.
>>
>> Read my lips : any graph can be interpreted as a binary relation,
>> and any binary relation can be interpreted as a graph.
>
> Non-sense.
> You are confused.
> Now read my lips:
>
> In general, a graph is composed of binary relations.
> When a graph consists of only two nodes
> it may then be equivalent to a binary relation.

A binary relation is a set of ordered pairs drawn from a common domain. A graph G can be viewed as a set of ordered pairs (Vertice, Edge) where Edge is itself a set of ordered pairs (Vertice, Vertice).

In short, a binary relation can be viewed as a graph (and vice versa). Similarly for a Matrix.

Cheers,

Kunle